August 28, 2007

Memories

I can’t explain why I feel so nostalgic today, why there is a different sensibility inside of me. Is it because there are people and moments that come back to your mind when you’re not expecting it? That seems to be the situation today.

I remembered the time when I worked as a supervisor during the last National Census. In order to get the job I had to attend a training course and to pass a test. The majority of people knew each other and it was kind of an adventure. For the same reason, my co-workers knew my background and my lack of experience on working in the countryside. It was then a big surprise when I qualified as a supervisor and when the different areas were assigned I got the bigger one and the hardest one according to the rumors. However, I was blessed and had the chance to work with three wonderful people that complete the job perfectly.

I had many images from those days. I specially remember the peaceful and tranquility of the villages and the kindness of its people.

Sometimes I wondered what I was doing on those solitary places but I always ended captivated by the landscapes, the flowers and a soft breeze.

One day, one of my partners and I got lost because the drawing we had of the area was wrong. So, we wander and wander until we heard music and thankfully, we found a house half hidden in the bushes. We realized that it was one of the first houses of a village that we were supposed to visit the next days, but it didn’t matter and we did our job.

Every person in those villages was wonderful and cooperative. They invited us to their houses, they even wanted to share their meals with us and they always had a story to share with us.

There was this lady who was so happy with our visit because she didn’t get many visitors and she liked to talk. Before we leave, she offered us mangoes and bananas and her house was one of the humblest.

How different was the story my co-workers who stayed in the town told us. People shut the door in their faces, they didn’t want to talk, and people were really mean.

What at the beginning seemed to be a curse, ended up being a blessing. Working in the villages was a wonderful experience; it allowed me to get out of my “bubble” and taught me that we find happiness in the simple things.

No comments: