August 28, 2007

The last rose...

It was the last rose and everybody knew it.

Dozens of hungry eyes were fixed in that beautiful flower that was equal to an "I love you" or an "I like you". Your eyes were fixed on it too. You, a girl who always insinuated you didn't care about those things, about those flashy things. That day, however, something inside you had changed and your eyes proclaimed it in all directions. Would have you been contaminated with the false feeling of Valentine's? No, I couldn't believe it.

And there I was, in front of the teacher in charge of the roses, who smiled peacefully, expecting my request. We knew that man was already fed up with the mush and vulgarity of that day. Valentine's? Ha! It was just the artificiality that covered the daily scorn along the corridors.

My mind tried to decide what I should do next. I could feel your eyes fixed on my back. I knew you were expecting that rose, as a confirmation of all what we had lived until that moment: hints, stupid jokes, useless pretexts.

… but you knew as good as I did that it could not be. I, the most popular guy in the school, would not risk my reputation to satisfy the incipient love of a nerd like you. You had fulfilled your part; your help was invaluable to win those courses I hated so much. I knew I could not never fulfill my part.

Then, the guy in Cupid's costume started to walk toward your place; and while your cheeks showed your confusion and edginess and you tried to ignore it, your best friend was surprised when receiving the last rose which came to complete her perfect bouquet of passions…

No comments: